||Current Events and Issues/General
This volume explains how bullying became a problem in schools and what can be done about it. It also points readers to additional resources among the many that exist on the topic that will help them to fully understand it.
Bullying: A Reference Handbook opens with a background and history of school bullying before diving into raging controversies over causes and solutions. It contains personal essays from experts in the field and profiles of empathy-building bullying prevention organizations and additionally includes data and documents, a chronological history of bullying, and resources for further research. Anyone interested in learning more about school bullying will come away with a clear understanding of the topic.
This volume is the only resource on the issue of school bullying targeted for high school and college students as well as other serious researchers. With an emphasis on bullying prevention, including less well known but up-and-coming empathy-building programs, this book contributes ground-breaking material to help readers to learn about the scope of the problem as well as essential solutions that families and schools can practice in everyday life.
- Provides readers with an understanding of school bullying and its many forms, including gay-bashing, slut-bashing, and other forms of gender policing
- Suggests a number of remedies based on solid research that have effectively prevented school bullying
- Explains the crucial relationship between school bullying and the increase in school shootings
- Provides research about the role of self-esteem for those perceived as bullies as well as targets
- Profiles effective programs that build empathy and prevent school bullying
- Series Description
Contemporary World Issues
This award-winning series offers comprehensive, one-volume reference handbooks on important topics related to health, education, the environment, and social and ethical issues.
24-hour cable news. Millions of internet sites. Information overload. How can we sort through the information? Assess the analyses? Trust the sources?
A world of questions demands a library of answers. Contemporary World Issues covers the controversial topics that students, readers, and citizens want to read about, write about, and know more about.
- Author Info
"Consider for high school collections in need of materials on the topic."
- Look Inside