||6 1/8x9 1/4
||Reference and Information Services and Tools/Reference and Information Services
||Librarian's Instructional Role/Information Literacy and Instruction, College Level and Above
Learn how to develop, manage, and maintain a scholarly communications department.
More and more academic libraries are being asked to provide scholarly communications services to their campuses, ranging from general information about copyright law to instruction for creating and hosting digital repositories and publishing services. To support academic librarians and information specialists in starting their own scholarly communications departments, Sustaining and Enhancing the Scholarly Communications Department begins by introducing key scholarly communications concepts, including copyright, Creative Commons licenses, author rights, open access, open educational resources, open-access e-journals, and institutional repositories.
Authors Helge, Tmava, and Zerangue explain how to develop, manage, market, and maintain a scholarly communications department. They define specific tasks and tools for which many scholarly communications departments are responsible, including intellectual property, licensing issues, promoting open access, data management, and plagiarism conundrums. They also discuss strategies for collaborating with key campus stakeholders and convey which academic degrees benefit and may be necessary for personnel in a scholarly communications department. Finally, the authors offer managerial and leadership techniques to increase employee productivity, efficiency, retention, motivation, and happiness within the scholarly communications department.
- Introduces and clearly defines key scholarly communications concepts
- Explains how to establish and maintain a successful scholarly communications department
- Discusses how to effectively market a scholarly communications department and collaborate across academic units
- Describes necessary technology for successful data management, e-journal publishing, and maintaining a scholarship repository
- Provides a framework for selecting and retaining successful employees
- Author Info
"Readers will be enriched and rewarded by this engaging book, which reads as a celebration of where we are as a discipline and hints at what we may yet achieve on our shared path."