||Geography and World Cultures/Culture
||Race and Ethnicity/General
The book is an essential resource for those interested in investigating the lives, histories, and futures of indigenous peoples around the world.
Perfect for readers looking to learn more about cultural groups around the world, this four-volume work examines approximately 400 indigenous groups globally. The encyclopedia investigates the history, social structure, and culture of peoples from all corners of the world, including their role in the world, their politics, and their customs and traditions. Alphabetically arranged entries focus on groups living in all world regions, some of which are well-known with large populations, and others that are lesser-known with only a handful of surviving members.
Each entry includes sections on the group's geography and environment; history and politics; society, culture, and tradition; access to health care and education; and threats to survival. Each entry concludes with See Also cross-references and a list of Further Reading resources to guide readers in their research. Included in the encyclopedia are also Native Voices inset boxes, allowing readers a glimpse into the daily lives of members of these indigenous groups, as well as an appendix featuring the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Allows for easy cross-cultural comparisons to be made from entry to entry
- Includes an appendix with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples so readers can easily access it as a resource
- Showcases "Native Voices" boxes throughout the work, allowing readers to get a snapshot of a "day in the life" of members of various cultural group
- Offers "See Also" features at the end of each entry to easily cross-reference entries
- Provides accessible insight into many aspects of indigenous life, including history, society and culture, healthcare and education, and environment
- Author Info
"Highly recommended for grade school and public libraries. The global scope and eye-catching photos make this resource both important and student friendly."
"Scholarly coverage is aimed at researchers, but this set will also appeal to general readers."
- Look Inside