||Geography and World Cultures/Countries and Regions
This two-volume encyclopedia examines life and culture in every country in Europe, from Iceland, Portugal, and Ireland to Finland, Russia, and every country in between.
From Portugal's famous port wine to traditional Russian dress, this two-volume encyclopedia will take readers on a journey through Europe, looking at contemporary life and traditional customs.
Europe profiles life in the 46 nations of Europe through detailed, comprehensive entries. Each country profile looks at contemporary and cultural topics such as religion, social customs, lifestyle and leisure, cuisine, gender roles, dress, festivals, music, visual arts, and architecture, among many others, while also providing supplemental information on history, politics, employment, and economics for comprehensive coverage. Readers will be able to make cross-cultural comparisons, such as comparing food culture in Spain and Italy, or gender roles in the Netherlands and Ukraine. Ideal for high school and undergraduate students, this book is a must-have for students of geography, social studies, European history, and anthropology, as well as students interested in studying and traveling abroad.
- Includes coverage on every country in the region, from Albania to the United Kingdom
- Allows readers to easily draw cross-cultural comparisons
- Provides readers with opportunities to seek additional information for research in comprehensive Further Reading lists at the end of each entry
- Provides at-a-glance information about each country in quick fact boxes at the beginning of each chapter
- Illuminates the text through photos and maps that offer visual support and complement the entries